Saturday, August 30, 2008

'Shear Genius'' $100,000 Winner


Dee Adames beat out Charlie Price and Nicole Obert to win the $100,000 grand prize on Wednesday night's season two finale when host and former "Charlie's Angel" Jaclyn Smith declared her work to be "Shear Genius"!

"I am just elated," Dee tells ET the morning after her win. "I am on cloud nine and I don't know now if I am ever going to come down."

The 37-year-old, who only became a stylist 10 years ago, has decided to spend her cash prize by investing in herself. She has already found a location in South Miami and is going to start construction on her own salon -- Dee & L Hair Studio -- as soon as she finishes up all the publicity demands on her time as a result of her win.

For the finals, the contestants were given four models with the same hair color at four different stages in their lives -- 20s, 30s, 45 and 60 -- and had to design a theme that would encompass different hairstyles for all four. Dee chose a rocker theme.

"I have a good friend of mine who is a musician and I have a lot of clients who are musicians and I see them going through changes," she says when asked how she came up with the idea. "It is the closest thing to a rock star for me, so I correlated my story from that."

Where the final challenge was thrilling because it was so complicated, and she won, Dee says her favorite task was the family challenge. "Just seeing my mom walk through those doors, it felt like home," she says. "Just having her by my side, I felt I would do well."

Despite the acrimony between Charlie and herself, Dee says she recognized that he was her major competition, but she felt that he also had an unfair advantage.

"If you look at the show, it was Charlie doing that same bird's nest over and over and he didn't get called out for it," says Dee, who was accused of doing the same haircut over and over. "So I was wondering if there was a little favoritism on [judge] Kim Vo's side for Charlie. Kim didn't give me much recognition."

Even so, Dee emerged victorious. The result has been a lot less sleep, but it is worth it. "It is definitely surreal, but I am enjoying the moment," she shares.

No comments: