Thursday, September 25, 2008

Ellen DeGeneres Speaks Out Against Anti-Gay Marriage Proposition


After her recent high-profile marriage to her longtime love Portia de Rossi, Ellen DeGeneres is blogging against a proposition looking to constitutionally ban same-sex marriages in California.

The talk-show host, always the comedienne, took a firm stance against Proposition 8 on her blog -- but not without a little humor.

Here's some of what Ellen had to say:

'The wording of Prop 8 is tricky. It's like if someone asked you, 'You don't want dessert, right?' But you do want dessert so you say, 'Yes,' which really means you don't want dessert. And if you say, 'No,' which means you do want dessert -- it sounds like you don't. Either way, you don't get what you want. See -- confusing. Just like Prop. 8.

So, in case I haven't made myself clear, I'm FOR gay marriage. And in order to protect that right -- please VOTE NO on Proposition 8. And now that you're informed, spread the word. I'm begging you. I can't return the wedding gifts -- I love my new toaster."

Other Hollywood heavyweights who have spoken out against the proposition include actor Brad Pitt and film icon Steven Spielberg, who each donated $100,000 to the "No on 8" campaign.

No comments: