TACURONG-the place was originally called "Pamasang, after a creek that flows from south to the north of the area. Later, "Pamasang was changed to "Talakudong, a Maguindanao term meaning head covering which was worn by early settlers. Eventually, the name was changed/shortened to Tacurong.
Tacurong was formerly part of Buluan. It was separated from its mother town and was created a municipality on August 3, 1951 pursuant to Eutive Order Number 462 signed by the late President Elpidio Quirino. The city is composed of mostly Ilonggo settlers from the province of Iloilo.
Tacurong then had an estimated area of 40,000 hectares comprising 14 barangays. When Tantangan, a barangay of Tacurong was created into a municipality in 1961, the southern portions of Tacurong were segregated. Its land area was reduced in 1961 when Tantangan , a Barangay of Tacurong was created into a municipality and became part of the province of South Cotabato. The Land area was further reduced when certain eastern portions were included in the newly created municipality of Pres. Quirino. Presently, Tacurong has only a total land area of 15,340 hectares, the smallest in terms of land area among the 12 municipalities that compose the new province of Sultan Kudarat, (created on Nov. 22, 1973 by Presidential Decree No. 341.) Although Isulan became the provincial capital, Tacurong remained as the premier town.
After 49 years of existence as a municipality, Tacurong became the first component city of the Province of Sultan Kudarat through the effort, of Hon. Angelo O. Montilla, the Congressman of the Lone District of Sultan Kudarat by virtue of House Bill No. 6497 duly approved and signed by His Ellency President Joseph E. Estrada through Republic Act 8805