Thursday, September 11, 2008

Anne Hathaway on Her Ex's Arrest: I Was 'in Shock'


Anne Hathaway speaks out for the first time about her ex-boyfriend's arrest, revealing she went into hiding after he was charged with fraud earlier this year, getting a little help from her friends -- and 'Get Smart' co-star Steve Carell.

She tells W magazine senior editor Danielle Stein, "As soon as I found out about the arrest, I had to get on a plane to Mexico to do a press tour for 'Get Smart.' And then I spent a week in shock at a friend's house."

Danielle sits down with a somber and reflective Anne in the new issue of W, on stands Sept. 23, and talks at length about the scandal. In a devastating blow to the 'Devil Wears Prada' star, her ex, Raffaello Follieri, was charged in U.S. District Court in New York with conspiracy, wire fraud and money laundering in connection with a scheme that allegedly duped investors into believing he had close connections with the Vatican, allowing him to purchase unwanted U.S. properties owned by the Catholic Church.

"It's a situation where the rug was pulled out from under me all of a sudden," Anne says. "But just as suddenly, my friends threw another rug back under me. One said, 'Go stay at my house.' And Steve Carell stepped up for me during an interview when someone asked a question [about it]. He said, 'At some point you're going to have to talk about this time in your life. You don't have to do it this week. I'll take care of anything that comes your way.'"

No comments: